Travel connects us with the people and places that are important to us. At Amadeus, we are proud of the role that our technology plays in connecting travellers to the travel journey, linking them to a whole ecosystem of travel agents, search engines, tour operators, railways and more. This pride has been reflected in our growth, the strength of our performance is outlined in the Amadeus Global Report 2016.
Multimodal trips: an opportunity in the distribution business
We see multimodality as an opportunity to evolve, expand and bring more collaboration and value to the travel industry. In the ever-changing environment we currently live on, rail is clearly becoming an integral part of the travel chain.
Travellers are looking for not just a flight but a complete seamless travel experience and travel providers are looking to extend the range of products they sell beyond their core offer. That is why we already integrate content from multiple providers including rail, hotel, insurance, car rental and more. Our rail content is displayed alongside our air content in one merged display, so travel agencies and travellers can compare travel options quickly and easily.
Rail, part of our vision to shape the future of travel
With 90 railway companies distributed worldwide and over 200 dedicated rail experts, Amadeus Rail is part of the Amadeus global vision of being at the centre of the travel industry. The key milestones in 2016 include:
- The AccesRail partnership extension, an IATA travel partner and content aggregator specialising in international travel.
- Thanks to Amadeus’ Air-Rail Display, travel agents are now able to book 18 rail and bus operators across 26 countries on the same screen as air travel.
- RENFE agreed in April to distribute its rail content to Amadeus subscribers globally. Search, booking, ticketing, payment and settlement flow for the travel agency are now all handled by Amadeus.
- Rail Display is being rolled out in the French and Swedish markets, our flagship product for travel agency rail sales
- Our new Amadeus rail merchant model with DB, SNCF, RENFE and Trenitalia, is now available in Central Eastern European countries, facilitating international rail sales for travel agencies.
As a key industry player, we participate in policy initiatives enabled by technology, helping to reduce the travel complexity.
Last year, we were active and supportive of new initiatives for a seamless multimodal travel system in Europe. Especially in rail, where we are participating in Shift2Rail and IT2Rail, two important private-public industry initiatives sponsored by the European Commission.
The Amadeus-led All Ways Travelling (AWT) consortium comprised BeNe Rail, IATA, Thales, Union des Industries Ferroviaires Européennes (UNIFE) and Zeppelin University, was selected by the European Commission to develop and validate a proof-of-concept for a multimodal, pan-European passenger transport information and booking system, which was successfully delivered.
Such relevant public and industry technology-related initiatives are helping us to be positioned at the very forefront of the digital transport system in Europe.
For a more comprehensive and transparent view of all of these important business and sustainability achievements, visit our dedicated website or download a copy of the Amadeus Global Report 2016 here: