Having used the Amsterdam airport railway station several times I’m a huge fan of this service, however, I had no idea that every day there were over 50,000 other fans! Being recent that Heathrow Airport is to be a ‘hub’ for UK high-speed rail – similar to what Schiphol is in the Netherlands this just seemed like an appropriate topic on which to write my first ever blog!
The benefits of an airport railway station
From the passengers' perspective:
- Time can be saved, especially if the feeder airline isn’t interlined with the long haul connection
- The additional comfort that a journey by rail offers is a welcome luxury for the modern day traveller
- Travelling by rail can help reduce the carbon footprint – especially where short haul flights are the competition.
From the airlines and railways perspective:
- The airlines themselves can benefit from these links
- They can set up interlining agreements – much in the way that Lufthansa and Deutsche Bahn have already.
- it is advantageous for brands to appear “green friendly”
- High-speed rail can only assist the company in building its brand to meet this criterion.
The final major stakeholder is the actual airport and their major gain from