At the Amadeus Total Rail Forum in November I facilitated a workshop on social media, with a focus on how we could use social media to “promote” rail travel. We discussed how we could convert travellers to customers and encourage more people to travel by train.
- Build on good news that would otherwise be missed
- Build a community following
- Employees involvement, company advocates, being able to react
- Travellers feedback can be used as ways to build on customer testimonials and to act positively on criticism
- For rail – to facilitate rail bookings through “tips”, with users examples
- Importance of “mobile friendly files”, sites, Internet strategy
- Images or film of staff travel experiences – train travel e.g. Europe rail travel for international travellers
- Better positioning of rail products and services and therefore the company
- Using the social media channels for promotions – using twitter to promote products
Real-time location based information using mobile device for travellers.
Using Facebook instead of direct e-mails
There are however some opportunities to use social media, such as in marketing and customer awareness or customer information but the biggest need was for education at company level – social media needs to become part of the companies mind set.
I leave you with the best quote of the 2 days:
“We found out that a hate group had been created about our company”
Question: “so what did you do?” Answer: “we joined the group!”